Saturday, January 2, 2010

Whey Ricotta - first try


While my first attempt at Feta was draining in a colander, I decided to use the fresh whey it produced to try Whey Ricotta. This is a way to use the whey and not be wasteful.

Simply pour the drained whey into a large pot and heat it to 195-200 degrees on the stove. Do not let it boil. As soon as the curds separate, remove it from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Carefully ladle the curds out of the pot and into a cheese cloth lined strainer and let it drain for 20 minutes. The recipe said to add salt or herbs. I chose to sprinkle in some mixed Greek herbs into the cheese.

Results: The yield was very small, but the recipe said I could have added some milk to the whey to increase the yield. The taste was fantastic. It was a nice dry, crumbly ricotta that I ate on crackers with sun dried tomatos. It tasted heavenly. So far, it was the best tasting cheese I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment