Friday, November 6, 2009

Chevre (Goat Cheese)


Today is my first attempt at making cheese. Because I am anxious to begin this new hobby, I wanted to start with an fresh cheese that doesn't require months of aging before I can taste it.

This recipe came from a guest on Martha Stewart.

First I need my supplies...

  • 1 quart of goats milk
  • juice from 2 lemons
  • course salt
  • chopped herbs - I will use parcel from my herb garden

I will also need...
  • a double boiler
  • a candy thermometer
  • cheese cloth
  • a wooden spoon
Step 1:
Heat the milk in a double boiler (don't let the water touch the bottom of the top half)

(my improvised double-boiler)
over simmering water until the thermometer shows it has reached 180 degrees Fahrenheit.


Step 2:
Remove from the heat and stir in the juice from the two lemons. Let it sit until it sets. This is quick - about 15 seconds. Add more lemon juice if it doesn't set right away.

(nothing obvious happened when I added the lemon. I expected curds to appear or at least lumps, but even when I added more lemon, nothing obvious happened, but I continued anyway.)

Step 3:
Line a colander with several layers of cheese cloth and then use a ladle to transfer the set cheese to the colander.

Step 4:
Tie up the 4 corners of the cheese cloth to make a bag and hang this bag from the wooden spoon over a pot. Leave it to drain for 2 hours until it reaches the consistency of cottage cheese.

Step 5:
Open the bag

and transfer the cheese to a small bowl and break it up with a fork or spoon. Mix in the chopped herb and some course salt (to taste).


Step 6:
Enjoy! Spread it on crackers and enjoy your first homemade cheese!

The leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for 1 week.
-----------------------------------------
Tasting results
I was really pleased with my first effort. The cheese turned out soft, creamy and a bit lemony (I did actually use a lot of lemon juice!). The Parcell herb added a nice touch, but I think dill would be good too. I didn't use much salt, but it was just perfect on a salty trisket.

No comments:

Post a Comment